According to official date, Total 2017 hop acreage in Germany has been expanded by approx. 950 ha (+5%), totalling approx. 19.550 ha. Productive acreage (without baby hops) increased to 18.000 ha. Acreage was expanded in all German hop growing regions.
Major developments are as follows:
- Largest acreage increases are – like last year – for variety Herkules (+19%) with a corresponding decrease of Magnum (-8%) and Taurus (-20%)
- With an acreage of 5.800 ha, variety Herkules in the meantime covers 30% of total acreage
- Acreage of aroma varieties Perle, Hallertau Tradition and Hersbrucker was reduced by 2 – 4% respectively, which is similar to last year`s reductions
- After several years of acreage reductions for variety Tettnang Tettnanger, now we can see the reversal of the trend with an increase of around 2%
- In the flavor hop sector acreage is steadily rising.